sorrento hotel villa fiorita
How to reach Sorrento center
By Sita Bus
The bus stop is located 20 meters on left of our front gate where the SITA sign is.
Bus tickets should be purchased at reception.
We suggest you to signal your presence when the bus is coming.
The buses are not numbered but destinations are shown.
The buses are colored BLU or GREEN and GREY
( look the photo on the left ).
The bus take approximately 15 minutes to reach the center of Sorrento.
The last stop in Sorrento is Circumvesuviana Train Station.
Bus Time Table can be obtained at reception
.

By Car
Going down along VIA NASTRO VERDE, in 15 minutes you arrive in Sorrento Center.
We suggest you to park the car in the paying car park that we marked on the map.
The cost is 1,50 euro or 3,00 for 1 hour.
Your car can be parked in the blue lines along the road.
For these parking you must purchase the PARK CARD in the shop showing the logo : PARK CARD.
The cost is 1 euro ( half hour ) and 2 euro (1 hour).
If you park in the blue lines please pay attention to the signposts because some places are reserved for residents.
Sorrento maps can be obtained at reception.


About the origin of Sorrento the historian Diodoro Siculo, relating to a legend, asserted that the town was founded by Liparos, son of Ausone, who was the king of the Ausoni and son of Ulysses and of the witch Circe. According to this legend, the origin of the town dates back to an ancient Italic population, that of the Ausoni, which accounted for one of the most ancient ethnic groups.
However the town in pre-Roman age was subjected to a certain influence on the part of the Greek culture, whose traces can be easily found in its urbanistic settlement, the remains of the Parsano Gate, Marina Grande Gate, let alone the presence at the headland of the peninsula called Punta Campanella, of the Athenaion. The big sanctuary, where the worshipping of Athens was celebrated, according to the legend, it was founded by Ulysses and in a first moment consecrated to the worship of the Sirens. All these elements could lead us to think of a Greek presence in the period between 474 and 420 b.C., when Sorrento was conquered by the Samniti. Following this Sorrento entered under the Roman's sphere of influence, against which it rebelled in the course of the social war when after joining the 'nucerina alliance' it was reconquered, together with Stabia, by Papius Multius in 90 b.C. and then the following year it was reduced once again to a state of submission by Silla. After the peace Silla sent a colony of veterans there.
Eruption of the Vesuvius of 24th August 79 A.D.
On 24th August 79A.D. the town was seriously damaged by the earthquake, caused by the eruption of the Vesuvius which destroyed the towns surrounding the area such as Pompei, Herculaneum and Stabia.
Sorrento as a holiday resort
During the first half of the Imperial age it became a very popular seaside resort among the wealthy patricians, who considered the entire Gulf of Naples, from the Flegreian Plains to Sorrento, an ideal place to spend the summer months and the otium periods. Therefore several Villae Maritimae were edificated in this area: magnificent lodgings, each with a landing place from the sea, spacious private residences, sometimes also farms where oil and wine were produced with the crops belonging to the dominus.

Horace
The fame of Sorrento is also commemorated by Horace and Stazius, who in his work Silvae praised the beautiful sights and in particular the Villa of his friend Pollio Felice.
Sorrento in 420 A.D.
Sorrento had an archiepiscopal site around 420 A.D., and after the fall of the Roman.

Empire it was subjected to Byzantium. It was in vain besieged by the Longobard. It became a free Dukedom and had to defend itself from raids by the Saracens; it struggled against Amalfi, one of the powerful Maritime Republics, to claim its independance.
Sorrento from 1133 to 1656
In 1133 it was conquered by Ruggero the Norman and from that moment its fate was tied up to that of the King of Naples. On the 13th June 1558 it was plundered by the pirates, who had been assisted in this by a slave, who by the legend, betrayed his fellow citizens and opened the city gates to the robbers. This episode persuaded the Sorrentines to fortify the walls sorrounding the town and this work was completed in 1567. One of the most critical times for Sorrento took place in 1648, when a riot broke out against the Spaniards, headed by Giovanni Grillo. With the support of the inhabitants of Piano and Massa Lubrense, he tried to seize the government of the town where the nobles were faithful to the Spanish power. The big plague epidemic of 1656, shocked the population further on. But notwithstanding these series of negative events, Sorrento continued to be an outstanding centre among the province's towns.
Sorrento in 1799
In 1799 it joined the Parthenopean Republic and was a theatre of fights between the republicans and Bourbons. Back to the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, under the Bourbon' s rule, it underwent remarkable changes during the XIXth century both from an urbanistic and a political point of view: some of the coastal boroughs were ruled by the counsel of the civic nobility, while others became self-governing. In the economic and social field an increase was registered in agriculture, tourism and trade.
The Kingdom of Ferdinand II
Under the rule of Ferdinand II the road leading from Castelammare to Sorrento was opened. In 1861 it was officially incorporated to the Kingdom of Italy, by means of a plebiscite, which established the annexion of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies to the Kingdom of Sardinia. Already in XVIIIth century Sorrento was rediscovered as a pleasant holiday resort when it became the destination of a refined and intellectual tourism. Among its illustrious guests we recall above all Lord Byron, John Keats, Walter Scott and Goethe. Finally it must not be forgotten that Sorrento was the country home of Torquato Tasso (1544-1595), author of the Gerusalemme Liberata and regarded as one of the greatest poets of the XVIth century.


1) Tasso Square: The main square in sorrento , once called Largo of the Castle
2) Basilica of Saint Antonino: The Basilica was built in the same area of a
Preexisting private chapel rising nearby the tomb of the Saint
3) Villa Comunale: Positioned on a sheer drop, it has a wonderful view of the bay of Naples
4) Cloister of Saint Francis: The Monastery’s origin dates back to the first half of the xv century
5) Marina Grande: Is a pretty inlet with a characteristic fishing village
6) Via S.Cesareo: Is a little road in the historical centre where is possible to admire the “ Sedile di Porta “ and the “ Sedil Dominova “
7) Sedil Dominova: one of two loggias where the representative of an aristocratic party used to seek advice
8) Duomo: The Cathedral is in romanic style and it dates to the xv century
9) The Old Walls: These walls stood to defend Sorrento through the middle age
10) The Deep Valley of the Mills: in the historical centre of sorrento, behind tasso square it is possible to admire the Deep Valley of the Mills.
11) Via Pieta’: A characteristic little road and it dates to the middle age.
12) Correale Museum: The Museum was set up from a private foundation. The collection are laid out on three floor in 24 rooms plus the attic
13) Regina Giovanna: At Punta del Capo the remains of an imposing villa romana are still visible. This is the villa where Pollio Felice lived through his blessed idleness.
The Old Walls
During the roman domination the city of sorrento was completely sorrounded by walls with 5 entrance doors. These walls remained a protection of sorrento during the whole medieval age.
The invasion of the saracen, ferocious turkish pirates, for centuries has upset the peace of the small town.
The Deep Valley of the Mills
The deep valley of the mills is located behind tasso square . The deep valley encircles on the south east side the tuffaceous block of the present historical centre of sorrento.
Observing it from above a characteristic rift of the rock is visible,That carves profoundly and transversely the tuffaceous platform.In the middle age the vallley became privileged places of the human ‘s settlement.
The name valley of the mills derives from the existence of a mill functioning since the beginning of the 900’s.
The creation of tasso square , since 1866, determined its progressive abandon.
Regina Giovanna
At Punta del Capo the remains of an imposing Villa Romana (roman villa of the 1st century) are still visible. According to the tradition, this is the villa where, as Stazio mentioned in his poems, Pollio felice lived through his blessed idleness. The restricted basin, enclosed by rocky walls, which was reachable through a narrow opening connecting to the sea, was the villa little port.

Correale Museum
The museum was set up from a private foundation by the Correale brothers Alfredo and Pompeo, the Counts of Terranova.
They were the last descendants of an old Sorrentine family and in their wills they made provision for Villa Correale and the arts collection housed there to be turned into a museum bearing their name.
The collections are laid out on three floors in 24 rooms plus the attic, which has recently been renovated for use as an exhibiting area.
At the ground floor you can find romanesque items together with Sorrento intarsia of the 19th century. At the first floor, furnishings and paintings of the 18th century can be admired together with Oriental chinawear of the 17th and 18th century.
At the second floor, one can look at the collection of paintings by "Posillipo school", painting by foreign artists and an interesting clocks collection of the 18th century.
At the third floor, the italian and foreign chinawear and majolica dating back to the 17th and 18th century are exhibited.
Sedil Dominova
In front of the bell tower annexed to the cathedral , the via Reginaldo Giuliani opens up and leads to the Sedil Dominova (15th century), one of the two loggias where the repressentative of an aristocratic party used to seek advice. The city coat of arms as well as those of the various families of the Sorrento aristocracy are displayed in its interior.
It has a quadrilateral form with two corner arches in Piperno ( lava ) permitting the view of the interior of the cupola and the end walls with 18th century frescoes. The pilasters and polystyle arches with their capotals are in archaic style.
The 17th century cupola is formed by green and yellow majolica roof tiles.
Cloister of Saint Francis
The monastery’s origin dates back to the first half of the 15th century . The cloister’s architecture presents crossed arches in tufo on the two sides of the portico , expressing the style of the late 1300s and substituted on the other two sides by round arches on octagonal pilasters.
Various elements of pillage are present as in three corner columns reutilized functionally after being taken from pagan temples.

Basilica of Saint Antonino
From the tasso square , the via De Maio takes to the church of Sant’Antonino , placed in the square bearing the same name. The basilica was built in the same area of a preexisting private chapel rising nearby the tomb of the saint who , on the occasion of the longobardic invasion , came here to seek refuge.
Its origin dates back to the 11th century although there was already an oratory dedicated to Saint Antonino here in the 9th century.
Valuable paintings by Giovanni Bernardo Lama and Giacomo Del Po can be found inside the building.
Highly interesting is also the ex-voto collection , offered in its greater part by sailors who escaped shipwrecks . One can also assume that the two cetacean ribs visible in the entrance , are a unique ex-voto offered by an unknown sailor.
The crypt, which was rebuilt in 1753, houses the tomb of Saint Antonino who is the patron Saint of the town.


Tasso Square

In the main square , once called Largo of the Castle , the baroque church Del Carmine opens up. In its interior it is kept an interesting
painting by Onofrio Avellino.
Marina Grande
One of the streets that link Marina Grande with the town is made of stones dates back to the middle age , at the end of which you can find the Marina Grande gate. Until the 5th century it represented the only access to the town from the sea. From this gate , in 1558, came in the turckish sacking the town of Sorrento.
Marina Grande is a pretty fishing village
How to reach the Beach
SORRENTO LIDO LEONELLI:

By Car: You must reach the Port and then you can park the car there or in the other parking marked on map.The beach is near the Port.
By Bus : get off in Tasso Square and then take the steps to the Port.
Near the Port there is the Beach
BAIA DI PUOLO:

By Car: going down along Via Nastro Verde you arrive to a fork in the road , take the left signposted Massalubrense and after 2 km take the road signposted PUOLO.
By Bus: take the Bus to the Circumvesuviana and there take another Bus to MASSALUBRENSE
or other destination with VIA MASSA.
Ask the driver to get off in the right place.
NERANO - MARINA DEL CANTONE

By Car: going up along Via Nastro Verde just for 1 km, you arrive to a fork in the road.Take the right for S.Agata and then follow the signposted for Marina del Cantone or Nerano.
By Bus: ask at reception about the time table.The Bus Stop is located 20 meters on left from our gate but to the other side of the road.
SPIAGGIA DI POSITANO

By Car: going up along Via Nastro Verde and then along Via Nastro Azzurro , follow the signposted for Positano Amalfi.
By Bus: ask at reception about the time table.The Bus Stop is located 20 meters on left from our gate but to the other side of the road.
Hotel Villa Fiorita

- Via Nastro Verde 96 - 80067 Sorrento (Italy) - info@albergovillafiorita.com - Tel. 0818780003 / Fax 0818080950

 

 
home page
rooms
photo
offers
services
guida di sorrento
prices
location
escursions

Hotel Villa Fiorita - Via Nastro Verde 96 - 80067 Sorrento (Italy)